As we're heading into the season of holiday parties and family gatherings I love finding delicious recipes that I can take! This is a yummy dish to take for people to munch on before the main dish, but quite honestly it's good for any occasion! The sauce with this is a nice touch too.
This recipe feeds at least 16 people!
For the Fritters
- 2 – 3 tbsp olive oil or coconut oil (for cooking the fritters)
- 2 medium organic zucchinis, grated (approx. 3 cups)
- 1 medium organic sweet potato, peeled and grated (approx. 1½ cups)
- 1 small organic red onion finely chopped
- 3 organic spring onions, finely chopped (reserve 1 for serving)
- 1 organic garlic clove, finely chopped (optional)
- 1 egg from the farmers market or organic free range, beaten or 1 chia egg (see chia info)
- 2 tbsp gluten-free flour
- 2 tbsp arrowroot
- 1 tsp sea salt and freshly ground pepper (to taste)
- 2 drops black pepper essential oil (to taste)
- 4 drops lemon essential oil (to taste)
For the Lemon Herb Sauce
- ¾ cup vegan or homemade mayonnaise, non-dairy unsweetened coconut yogurt or non-dairy sour cream
- ½ cup finely chopped herbs (choose from basil, parsley, coriander, dill and/or mint)
- 1 spring onion finely chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice (to taste)
- 1 tbsp maple syrup or honey (optional, to taste)
- 4 drops lemon oil (to taste)
- 1 drop black pepper oil (to taste)
- ½ tsp sea salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- pinch of turmeric powder (optional, to taste)
To make the Lemon Herb Sauce:
- Place all the sauce ingredients in a blender and blend until combined.
- Taste the sauce and add more sea salt, pepper, lemon oil and/or maple syrup to your taste.
- Chill until ready to serve.
To make the fritters:
- In a large bowl, mix all the ingredients together by hand except the cooking oil. Take a little of the fritter batter in the palm of your hand and press together to see if you are happy with the consistency.
- Heat a large stainless steal or cast iron frying pan on medium-high heat and add approx. 1 tbsp of the cooking oil and let it heat for approx. 15 – 20 seconds.
- Using a tablespoon, scoop a heaping spoonful of the fritter mixture and place it in the pan and gently press down to form a patty and repeat. Add more oil for each new batch you cook and watch the temperature as you may need to reduce it a little.
- Cook for approx. 2 – 3 minutes until golden and then gently turn them over using a spatula and continue cooking 2 – 3 minutes until golden brown. You may need to reduce the heat a little and be careful not to burn.
- Place the cooked fritters on a wire rack, a plate or baking tray lined with paper towels to remove any excess oil and gently cover with baking paper to keep warm while you cook the rest of the fritters.
- Serve the fritters on a platter or individual plates topped with a little Lemon Herb Sauce and serve the rest of the sauce in a little bowl on the table. You can sprinkle the fritters with chopped herbs and spring onions before serving for presentation.